I know perfectly well how to make homemade cornmeal muffins, but the box mix is just as handy in my opinion. I usually make my brother Glenn’s cornmeal muffin recipe and this is just slightly different. The muffins are CHEESY! They have lots of sharp cheddar and are super excellent even without butter on them. They went great with the Vegetable Beef Soup I made recently.
I found a recipe that was similar to Glenn’s but had cheese. I wasn’t sure how much cheese to add, if I should reduce the liquids when adding cheese, etc. So when I wanted cheesy cornmeal muffins I went recipe surfing. This recipe looked easy!
I mixed the wet ingredients: an egg, 8 ounces of creamed corn (I eyeballed that, looking at the 15 ounce can of corn) and a small can of chopped green chilies.
I added a cup of shredded sharp cheddar.
I stirred the ingredients well.
I poured the box of muffin mix into a bowl, made a well in the center, and poured the wet ingredients into the well. My well runneth over, but I don’t think that was a problem. It mixed up well anyway. I mixed it just until everything was incorporated and there were no dry spots. I took care not to overmix and end up with tough muffins.
I chose to make regular sized muffins, spraying each muffin well. I guessed at 12 muffins and that was exactly right. I sprinkled a little more cheese on top of each muffin and slid them into the preheated oven.
I set my timer for 15 minutes for a check, but ended up baking them another 5 minutes until the toothpick tested dry and the muffins were a lovely golden color. I set them on a rack to cool for a few minutes then removed them to a basket. Our muffins were ready!
Oh my gosh they were good! I love cornmeal muffins and waffles and pancakes and… anything cornmeal! Melted these on them and in them are just a bonus. These benefitted by being cheesy! A quick note: the original recipe called for chopped jalapenos as well, but we weren’t having a meal that followed a peppery theme. The green chilies were plenty of extra flavor to accompany our beefy vegetable soup. I have the jalapenos listed in the recipe for an option.
My favorite way to eat the muffins was to break them into pieces and add them to my soup. Kind of a cheesy cornmeal dumpling effect. Or eat alone spread with butter, they were excellent as well.
Cheesy Green Chilies Cornmeal Muffins
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 8 ounces cream style corn
- 1 egg
- 1 cup + more for garnish sharp cheddar; shredded
- 1 jalapeno; seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 8.5 ounce box cornmeal muffin mix (I used Jif)
- In a bowl stir together first 5 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl place muffin mix and make a well in the center.
- Place wet mixture into well and stir just enough to mix. Don’t overwork the batter.
- Spray 12 regular or 24-30 mini muffin cups.
- Divide batter into cups and sprinkle with a few more pinches of shredded cheddar.
- Bake regular sized muffins for 20 minutes or mini muffins for 13 minutes.
- Let cool, remove from pans and eat!