This fruit salad came across my monitor from Pinterest. With the orange juice added to the creamy dressing, the fruit salad just HAD to be great. I even had strawberries all cleaned and quartered, ready to go. I just needed everything else on the list! After a trip to the grocery store it was ready to happen. There would be fruit salad with our dinner in the castle!
In a large bowl I beat the pudding and milk with my hand-held electric mixer. Then I read the recipe and realized the orange juice was supposed to be beaten with the pudding and milk. Ooops!
I put the orange juice concentrate into a bowl and microwaved it a few seconds to melt.
I had already thrown my beaters into the sink so I used a whisk and properly beat the orange juice into the mixture. No harm was done.
I added the Greek yogurt to the mixture and realized it was only 5.3 ounces, as listed on the container. Drat! I’d told my P.S. (Personal Shopper/ hubby) I needed a cup! I had some pineapple upside down cake regular yogurt in the fridge so I eyeballed about 3 more ounces and added it to the mixture. I whisked it well and was ready to add fruit.
The recipe said you could use whatever fruit you like but what she used had looked good to me. I drained a can of pineapple chunks and a can of mandarin oranges and added them to the bowl.
I added my quartered strawberries and stirred well.
I put the fruit salad into a storage container to chill until supper.
I sliced a banana and divided it among two bowls of fruit salad for dinner. The fruit salad was outstanding! I loved the orange flavor in the creamy dressing as well as the fresh fruit flavors. My P.S. was equally charmed. We ate the salad for several days and will definitely want to make this again, often!
Creamy Orange Fruit Salad
- 3.5 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate; thawed
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks; drained
- 11 oz can mandarin oranges; drained
- 1 cup strawberries; sliced or quartered
- 2 bananas; sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix with the milk and orange juice concentrate. Mix with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt.
- Add the pineapple, mandarin oranges and strawberries and stir well.
- Add the bananas if serving immediately. Otherwise add the bananas just before serving.
Adapted from Butter With A Side Of Bread