Tortilla soup is a castle favorite. We like it with chicken and like to add lots of chopped things as garnish. It’s almost more of a salad by the time we’re finished. Chopped lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, avocados, shredded. cheese and crushed tortilla chips really can fill a bowl! And a tummy! I’m continually adapting recipes for tortilla soup.
30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tortilla Soup in a flash. Even faster if you have leftover cooked chicken!
- 2 chicken breasts; shredded (I used 4 thighs this time)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion; diced
- 1 red bell pepper; diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 7 oz can green chilies; undrained
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (I used enchilada sauce)
- 1 can black beans; drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (or 1 can)
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- garnishes: shredded Monterey jack cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced avocado, green onions, sour cream, crished tortilla chips
Drizzle oil into a large pot over medium high heat. Sauté onion and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and cook a minute, stirring constantly.
Add seasonings and cook another minute, again stirring constantly.
Add green chilies, tomatoes, tomato sauce, drained black beans and frozen corn. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in chicken, lime juice and cilantro.
Serve hot with desired garnishes.